Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Strawberry Tower

So a while back, I saw on Pinterest that someone had built a 6 foot wooden pyramid that they were now using to grow strawberries. The Boy saw this and really, REALLY wanted to built one. I hem-hawed around and finally looked for the instructions.

Of course, there were none. So I kept looking and finally came across an amazing tutorial from The RunnerDuck. This one is about three feet tall as opposed to some of the six foot ones I have seen. I didn't really feel up to the six foot challenge, so I opted for the small one.

I sort of followed them. By that I mean I think the base and side supports might possibly be the same dimensions, but I am fairly certain nothing else is. I am not very good at angles, so mostly, instead of measuring, I just got my miter saw out and started slicing until everything fit. I also made four rows instead of five. I just wanted a little more space in my rows, so I rounded up my "measurements" to make it happen.All in all, it took me around five hours to complete. It probably would have been less if I were more of a measuring type builder, but oh well.


But here it is! I love it and am pretty sure I will make another one to go with it.


By the way, this thing holds a LOT of dirt. I don't know how much I put in since I shoveled it in from a pile on the ground, but by the time I was done, I was so glad that I hadn't built the six foot one. I saw someone else had filled theirs part way with gravel. Definitely something to keep in mind if I build another.

I planted 20 plants that I got from Grove Gardens

They had one variety and Amber assured me they were a wonderful variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment